Fasting Before Surgery
It is important that you do not eat or drink, as instructed by your doctor. This is usually 6 to 8 hours before any surgical operation.
If you feel in any way unsure about this please do not hesitate to contact the hospital for advice.
This requirement is very important as any food or drink remaining in your stomach prior to an operation can cause serious danger for you if there is vomiting under anaesthesia.
On the Day of surgery
- Wear comfortable unrestrictive clothing
- Remove all nail polish and make up
- Shower or bath the morning of your operation
- Remove all jewellery except your wedding ring
What to bring for your stay
- Sleepwear; dressing gown and slippers
- Personal toilet articles
- Your Hospital/Medical Benefits Fund card
- Any pharmacy entitlement cards for prescriptions
- Recent test results (within the last six months)
- Medicare card
- All of your medications that you are currently taking (in their original packaging)
- Please do not bring valuables or jewellery
- A small amount of cash for incidentals only.